2016 Yangtze River Cruise and Ferry Starting from 79 USD p.p.!


Map of Yangtze RiverYangtze River

Share |



RUINS OF THE MING IMPERlAL PALACE (MING GU GONG)
  NearbyYangtze River, on Yudao Jie near Wuchao Gate, is the site of the palace built by the first Ming emperor, Hongwu (reigned 1368--98). It was destroyed in 1645 and all that remains are some foundation stones, stone lions and the stone screen wall facing the former palace.

TAIPING BOWUGUAN
  Housed in the remains of the former palace of the Eastern Prince of the Heavenly Kingdom is a detailed exhibition of maps, paintings, documents and other relics of the Taiping Rebellion . Many of the documents are copies, as the originals are held in Bejing. Linked to the museum is the charming Zhan Yuan, a traditional Chinese garden which originated in the early Ming dynasty and eventu-ally became incorporated into the palace of the Eastern Prince, Yang Xiuqing, in the 19th century. Although this museum is located at 128 Zhan Yuan Lu, many of the Taiping exhibits and relics have been moved to Tushuo Zongtongfu at 292 Chanaiiang Lu. This includes military weapons, the imperial jade sea1 and the imperial robes of Hong Xiuquan.

NORTH POLE TOWER (BEI JI GE)
  Built by the Guomindang in 1929 as a meteorological research institute, this site offers excellent views of Jiming Si and Xuan Wu Hu. A long winding road makes a steep climb to the top. The tower stands in a walled compound on the peak. Although it is not open to the public, staff may allow escorted visits.

PLUM GARDEN VILLAGE (MEIYUAN XINCUN)

  At the end of the Sino-Japanese War, abortive peace talks took place between the Yangtze RiverGuomindang and the Communist Party of China. During this period May 1946 to March l947--the Communists made their headquarters at 17, 30 and 31 Meiyuan Xincun, a suburb close to the centre of Nanjing.

  The Communist delegation was led by Zhou Enlai and Dong Biwu. Zhou Enlai and his wife, Deng Yingchao, lived at No.30, and the charming house and garden remain just as the couple left them, with jackets hanging from a hat stand and a battered leather briefcase on the chest of drawers in the Spartan bedroom. A doorway knocked into the eastern garden wall connects No.30 to No.31. This short cut enabled the Communists to evade constant surveillance by Guomindang secret agents posted in the streets outside. At No.17 is a small conference room where Zhou Enlai met the press during negotiations. Upstairs is the secret radio equipment used for communicating directly with Mao Zedong in Yan'an.

  The houses, now museums, still exude the cloak-and-dagger flavour of the period and the usterity and dedication of their occupants.

CONFUCIUS TEMPLE (FUZI MIAO)
  In the south of the city, near a stretch of the Qinhuai River, is an area where Qing-style Yangtze Riverbuildings house shops and restaurants. The city fathers have recreated the bustling bazaar that clustered round the Song-dynasty Confucius Temple (Fuzi Miao) that stood here. The temple, destroyed at the time of the Japanese invasion in 1937, has been reconstructed.

MING LXAMINATION HALL, GONGYUAN JIE
  Imperial examinations were held at the capital every three years during the early Ming dynasty (1368--1644), even when the capital was moved to Beijing, candidates for high office travelled to Nanjing from nearby provinces. The Examination Hall comprised 20,600 tiny cubicles in which candidates were locked and kept guarded during the lengthy examinations. They had to write essays to achieve official rank in the imperial bureaucracy. Food was passed in daily to sustain the candidates through the trying ordeal which often lasted one month.
  A stone bridge and a square tower are all that remain of this huge establishment.Inside the tower are stelae inscribed with the rules of conduct for the examinations and the history of the hall itself.

SITE OF THE FORMER PRESIDENT PALACE (TUSHUO ZONGTONGFU)
  Xu Yuan Garden, a lake, and a large marble boat are all that remain and pre-date the largeYangtze River palace built by Hong Xiuquan (1813--64), instigator of the Taiping Rebellion and self styled 'Heavenly King' His palace was destroyed by the Qing troops after the defeat of the rebellion in 1864. During the Qing dynasty, officials used the site as a yamen (offices) and as the residence of the LiangJiang Viceroy, an official who governed the three provinces of Jiangsu, Anhui and Jiangsi.

  In 1912, Sun Zhongshan was inaugurated provisional President of the new Republic in Xi Hua Dian, the hall in the west of this garden. He lived in a two-storey wooden house near the north--east corner of the garden.

  The Guomindang government buildings erected on this site were the country’s administrative headquarters between 1927 and 1937 (when the Japanese entered the city). The late Generalissimo Chiang Kai--shek's (JiangJie shi) office was in this complex during that period. You can visit the auditorium where he was inaugurated President in 1948 and his personal air raid shelter used during the war with Japan.

  The buildings were the headquarters of the Jiangsu Provincial Communist Party until the museum opened in 2000. The site, at 292 Changiiang Lu, is now open to the public.

ROOSTER CROW TEMPLF (JIMlNG SI)
  The original halls dated from the late Qing-dynasty, but housed Ming sculpture.The first Ming emperor, Hongwu, decreed the construction of this temple. It was a nunnery until destroyed by fire in 1973. The main temple buildings were rebuilt in 1981, after which new bronze statues of Buddha and Guanyin were contributed by Thailand. It was not until eight years later when the landmark seven-storey Yao Shi Ta pagoda was reconstructed in 1989. The entrance is on Jiming Si Lu.

QUIFT SEA TEMPLE 0ING HAI SI)
  This temple was built in honour of Admiral Zheng He, during the reign of the Ming Emperor Cheng Zu. Jing Hai means 'quiet sea', conveying the wish that Zheng He's fleet would have safe journeys. This temple, at the base of Lion Peak, was also the site of the 1842 Sino-British negotiations which resulted in the Treaty of Nanking ending the Opium War of l839-42. The treaty was signed on board HMS Cornwallis anchored in the Yangtze River. The original temple was burned down by the Japanese in l937 but rebuilt in 1987. It houses a museum about the Treaty of Nanking. There are also three Ming-style exhibition halls but all captions are in Chinese.

MOSQUE
  This is a functioning mosque inside a series of Qing-dynasty buildings with courtyards surrounded by a wall. Services are held on Fridays. On a separate site at Zheng He Park and Museum, may he found memorials dedicated to the famous Chinese Muslim, Ming-dynasty Admiral, Zheng He.

HEAVEN WORSHIPPING PALACE (CHAOTIAN GONG)
  This site consists of four courtyards and three main buildings within a walled compound. Several of the buildings house exhibits of the Nanjing Municipal Museum. The first two courtyards are free to enter and contain a lively bazaar,alongside, the Crescent Pool (first courtyard) and a statue of Confucius (second courtyard).Da Cheng Palace,in the third courtyard,is a museum of ceremonies are held in this courtyard. In the fourth courtyard, facing Chong Sheng palace, is a new building housing relics from the Ming-dynasty era in Nanjing.

XIAO BAI LOU (LITTLE WHITE HOUSE)
  This former British consulate is now a luxurious banquet facility. Built in 1919,it was the British Consulate where the British Consul was assassinated by Guomingdang troops in 1927. his assassination triggered the exodus by the foreigners over the city wall. The building, located at 185 Huju Bei Lu, is kept in pristine condition. Visitors are welcome to look around inside. Brochures describing the building’s history in English are available on request.

THE WATERFRONT AND BUND
  This area lies in the Xia Guan district of the city outside the northwestern city wall. Almost allthe shipping industry is now located across the river on the Pukuo side. Jian Bian Lu has an old waterfront breakwater with a raised pedestrian promenade that allows you to see over the top and look at the river. After several blocks, turn left onto Da Ma Lu and see three impressive pre-1937 European-style buildings which survived the wars, revolutions and economic development of the city. This was the old pre-war business and finance center. The area now seems abandoned. Continue down Jian Bian Lu along the waterfront and at its intersection with Zhongshan Bei Lu you reach Zhongshan Bei Lu you reach Zhongshan Wharf, the arrival and departure point for passenger ships traveling the Yangzi River.

Nanjing and Its History

What to see in Nanjing (1): Sights Within The City

• What to see in Nanjing (2): Sights Within The City

What to see in Nanjing (3): Sights Outside The City Centre

What to see in Nanjing (4): Sights Outside The City Centre

What to see in Nanjing (5): Sights South & East of Nanjing