2016 Yangtze River Cruise and Ferry Starting from 79 USD p.p.!


Map of Yangtze RiverYangtze River

Share |


. DR SUN YATSEN'S MUSEUM (SUN ZHONGSHAN JI LIAN GUAN)
This is located inside the Buddhist Scripture Hall (CangJing Lou) and is an tw.rtanfj
museum devoted to Sun Zhongshan. The building was first constructed in 1931
and completely renovated in 1982. It sits in between Zhongshan Ling and Ling Gl
Si on a separate narrow mountain road which forms a loop off Ling Gu Si Lu. A
museum has a photographic exhibition depicting the construction of
Ling, as well as famous visitors to the mausoleum over the years. A film of S.a
Zhongshan's elaborate 1929 funera1 ceremony is shown continuously.
. YONG MU LOU .
This is the house where Sun Ke and Song Qing Ling stayed during their 1929
of mourning immediately after Sun Zhongshan's funeral. Sun Ke Lou and Yong 8l
Lou can both be reached by a stone paved road from Ling Gu Ta, or by stone-paved trail that ascends the hillside, starting from the road to
Bowuguan, across the road from a small restaurant. The trail is unmarked.
. ZHENG QI TING
This is the siteJiangJie-shi (Chiang Kai-shek) chose for his tomb in November l9"l
befOre his flight to Taiwan. lt sits at the end of a 1ong. steep walkng trail Whch cch I
up from behind Zi Xia Hu. The Pavilion is inscribed both by hAn and Sun Ke. A singe I
Guomindang sytnbol adorns the centre of the ceiling. f,
. ZUINSHAN OBSERVATORY
Situated on one peak of Zjin Shan, this third largest of China's observatories was l
built in l934. There is a small but fascinating collection on display of magnificent lI
Ming (1368--1644) reproductions of early astrological instruments: a celestial globe, jl
an armillary sphere for detecting solar bodies, a gnomon (a sun and seasons dial) and
an earthquake detector first made over 2,000 years ago. The last two instrumentS l
have had a disturbed history. In 1900, Germans absconded with the earthquake l
detector (which was then in the Bejing Observatory) but it was retumed, along with l
the other instruments taken as spoils of war, in l9l9. In the early 1930s theJapanese l
tried unsuccessfully to remove the gnomon, they even cut the base in half. Ml
lf you climb onto the platform of one of the observatory domes you will find
yourself above the tree line, and, unfurling below you, a marvellous view of Nanjing
and the Yangzi.
. VALLEY OF THF SOUL's RETREAT (LING GU GONGYUAN)
This park, and the admission ticket for it, includes Ling Gu Tower (Ling Gu Ta), Ling
Gu Temple (Ling Gu Si), Beamless Hall (Wu Liang Hall), Zhi Gong Hall, Bao Gong
Stupa, and the Gui Lin Stone House. The memorial archway at the entrance to the
park is remarkable fOr itS blue and white Guomindang Symbols mounted over the top
of each of its five gatcs.
In order to build his grand mausoleum on an auspicious site, the Ming emPcror
Hongwn (reigned l36ec98) had first to remove an existing temple, the Ling Gu Si,
to its present wooded peak. All that remains of that Ming temple is the 46-metre
(150-foot) long Beamless Hall (Wu Liang Dian).
The current Ling Gu Si buildings are a Qing-dynasty reconstruction completed
by Zeng Guo Fan in l867. lt has a special chapel devoted to the famous travelling
Buddhist monk Xuan Zang (59fu664) who went to India in the 7th century on a
long journey which lasted 16 years. ln 645 he returned to the Tang-dynasty capital
city of Chang An (Xian) bringing with him over 650 Buddhist manuscripts which
hc later translated into Chinese. This chapel devoted to him holds what is purported
to be a piece of his skull, which is kept on public display in a clear wine glass sitting
inside a small model pagoda. A community of monks liVe here.
Wu Liang Dian (Bcamless HaIl) was originally a Buddhist temple which in
1929 was turned into a memorial to Guomindang military officers and soldiers
who perished in the Northern EXPedition of l925--l927. The names and ranks of
all 33,224 martyrs are still listed on a stone tablet inside. The structure itself is
remarkable for having been built with no nails and no wooden beams. The cciling
is made of bricks fOrming a rounded vault over the walls. Today it contains an
exhibit of mannequins acting out scenes from China's revolutions.
To the north of the Beamless HaIl stands the nine-storeyed LinggU Pagda, Which
was built by the Guomindang in l929. The walls are inscribed with the text of tWo
speeches given by Sun Zhongshan at the WhamPoa Military Academy in Guangzhou.
For the energetic, the long climb to the top of the circular staircase iS rewarded with
a fine view over wooded countrysidc.

Bao Zhi was originally buried on the site of Ming Xiao Ling, but his grave was
moved to near Ling Gu Ta in 1379, whcn the first Ming emperor'S tomb was being
built. The stupa was destroyed three different times, until finally the grave site
itself was lost. The current stupa is a new construction dating from l98l. It no
longer marks the actual grave site, which is now unknown. A few yards in front of

the stupa sits Zhi Gong Hall, which was fiTst built in l934 and renovated in l9+1
This hall contains stone tablets dated 1382 recoTding the moving of Bao Zhi's gTa\'e
to the new site.
Gui Lin Stone House was the home of Ling Seng, chairman of the Guomindang
party during the l930s. The house was built completely out of stone in l932, and
sits on top of a high promontory on the southern slope of Zjin Shan. A steel1.
narrow, stone--paved road approaches it from two directions, either Ling Gu Ta ol'
Zhongshan Bowuguan. This site descends downward sharply in three directions
and upward sharply in the fourth. The house was destroyed by the japanese during
their occupation, leaving behind the foundation and some ruined walls, including
a staircase that now ascends into the air. The walls are still scarred black from thc
fire. You can still see some of the Ming--style stone statues Ling Seng used to decoratc
his house, including copies of some at the Ming Xiao Ling.
. FORMER HOML OF CHIANG KAl SHEK (MEI LING BIESHU)
Song Mei Ling Villa (Mei Ling Bieshu) is the former home of JiangJie shi (Chiang
Kai-shek) and his third wife Song Mei Ling. lt was built in 193l and served as the
official presidential residence (Xiao llong Shan) until 1949. The three--storey house
is decorated with period furnishings meant to show how it looked when Jiang lived
there. Photos of its famous former residents grace the walls. A map room displays the
military situation in 1949. Jiang's original car, a black Buick, is parked outside the
house. lt sits on Zjin Shan at No.9 Zhongshan Ling Yuan Lu.
. AIR FORCE MEMORIAL (HANG KONG LIE SHI GONG MU)
Built by the Guomindang in 1932, it was badly damaged during the Japanese
occupation. Restored and expanded in l994, it now includes the names of both
Chinese and foreign pilots who died in the air battles with Japan from l932 t(a
1945. The memorial sits just off Jiang Wang Miao Lu, on the North slope of Zjin
Shan.
. ZlJIN SHAN CABLE CAR (SHAN DING GONGYUAN)
A cable car takes passengers up to Shan Ding Gongyuan--the highest central peak
of Zjin Shan's three peaks. The top of this peak can also be reached via a stonc
paved road that begins from behind Ling Gu Ta and ascends the ridge, traversing
the third peak and then ascending the second peak. This is a very long walk. You
can also hire a taxi driver to take you there.

Nanjing and Its History

What to see in Nanjing (1): Sights Within The City

What to see in Nanjing (2): Sights Within The City

What to see in Nanjing (3): Sights Outside The City Centre

• What to see in Nanjing (4): Sights Outside The City Centre

• What to see in Nanjing (5): Sights South & East of Nanjing